“We don’t have to be smarter than the rest; we have to be more disciplined than the rest.” -Warren Buffett
Finding it difficult to focus while studying or doing a particular task? Easily distracted by your phone and/or social media?
Well, you are not alone; it is an issue with almost every student.
Focus and self-discipline go hand in hand, without one, the other fails.
Self-discipline, like everything else, is a practice. Not every day will be perfect, but each day you inch closer to focussing on something just a little bit more. And before you know it, it becomes a habit. I have summarized a few theories and tips which will help you achieve the same.
How to focus amidst the distractions?
- Your brain is not meant for multitasking; do one thing first and then the next.
- Studying or working at a stretch will result in productivity. Think about how good sleep is when you sleep for a couple of hours at a stretch. Reward yourself with a 10 minute break to rest your brain and avoid brain fog.
- De-clutter the place you are studying in.
- Try removing as many social apps as you can from your phone- lesser the notifications, lesser the distractions.
How can you be more productive?
- Having a proper schedule of how to begin and end your day is a must. Being disciplined in what you do and maintaining a timely schedule will help to attain your goals.
- Try avoiding sugar. Have more water. Sugar crashes can lead to energy crashes which leads to a massive loss in productivity.
- Stay away from the screen in between the breaks to let your mind rest. Go for a walker take a 10 minute power nap instead.
- Everyone is physiologically a morning person, and hence makes your routine accordingly:
4) Everyone is physiologically a morning person, and hence makes your routine accordingly:
-push your readings at night, so you can stay away from your phone before sleeping.
-do the actual hard work like studying in the morning and then continue with work.
5) Making a schedule for yourself makes you feel like you have spent the day wisely and invested in yourself constructively.
6) It is important to surround yourself with people who help you focus more, rather than pulling you down.
7) Force yourself to focus and discipline, only you can bring a change in you, no one else can.
Remember: To achieve something, sacrifices are unavoidable.